Wow it’s been a long sunday baking it up in the kitchen!
I first tried this lovely carrot cake at a friend’s place. It was soooo very moist and ridiculously easy to make. Even grating the 10 or so carrots wasn’t so bad when you have friends about. :] I asked for the recipe and have been waiting to create the carrot cake once more. Cue in Sunday baking and inviting E’s family over for after dinner cake and decadent hot chocolate :]
With anticipation of visitors, we had a big saturday clean up, the cardboard boxes and foam that have been sitting where our future dining table would be had to be removed… ie. on the other half lounge room. Now, it’s quite bare… we have the vacuum cleaner sitting in the vacant space for the moment… but htat has to go back to it’s place before the guests arrive xD Also, filled some photo frames with drawings of us, since we have yet to develop photos from our trips… nor do we have anything hanging on the walls as well *Sigh* Much to be done in May XDD
Now, onwards to the recipe, the original recipe is written in norwegian, so here’s my translation to it:
Ingredients for cake:
3 dl sugar;
3 dl flour;
grated peel of half an orange;
2 tsp baking powder;
1 Tbs cinnamon;
1 tsp salt; 1 tsp vanilla sugar;
5 Tbs/75g melted butter,
5 dl grated carrots (around 10 small/med carrots).
Ingredients for cream cheese frostings:
1 tsp vanilla sugar;
3 Tbs/45g melted butter;
300g icing sugar.
1. Preheat oven at 180 degrees.
2. Whisk eggs and sugar til suga is dissolved and the mixture is light.
3. Add in flour, cinnamon, salt, vanila sugar and baking powder. Mix in well.
4. Add in melted butter, grated carrots and orange peel. Mix in well.
5. Pour batter in greased 9 inch (23cm) cake form. Bake for 40-45 mins, test with skewer for doneness.
6. Let cake cool fully before spreading frostings.
1. Stir together all ingredients until smooth. Slather on top of the cooled cake. Garnish with additional grated carrot and serve! :]
The original cake recipe has the cake sliced in two and the frosting is also sandwiched. I just left it as one layer… so i still have a small bowl of frostings left in the kitchen! XD It’s all up to you on how you want to serve it up, fancy and intricate or just rustic and yummy. The family seemed to enjoy the cake, there was only a small wedge left. Ohhh sugar coma XD
Hope you guys turn out a fantastic cake when you try out this delicious recipe, the cake did not dome nor sink. It held its shape very well. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, I still need to review a bit more norwegian after entertaining.
See yas! 🙂